- The scholarship awards will be a total of $50,000 with $38,000 to be designated for United States students and $12,000 to be designated for Canadian students. The amount of each award will be determined by the Scholarship Committee, with no award being less than $1,000 or more than $5,000.
- The International Brotherhood reserves the right to terminate the Scholarship Program provided that scholarships already granted and/or announced shall be fully awarded if the winners actually enter an accredited college or university.
- The funding for the awards, above any voluntary donated funds, will be transferred from the General Fund, as required, on an annual basis.
- To be eligible, an applicant must be a son, daughter, legally adopted child or dependent (during the high school years) of:
- a member in good standing of the International Brotherhood; or
- a member in good standing of the International Brotherhood at the time of death; or
- a member in good standing of the International Brotherhood at the time of retirement or total disability.
- Applications are limited to high school seniors who will be entering their first year of a two-year or four-year program of academic study at a degree-granting, accredited college or university within one (1) year of graduation from high school.
- A scholarship may be used in whole or part by the recipient at any time during the five (5) year period following the date of the award, provided that the recipient has entered an accredited college or university, as a full-time student, within one (1) year of graduation from high school.
- Applications must be completed and submitted online between January 1st and March 1st of each year and the winners will be selected in the month of April. The successful applicants will be notified no later than May 15th, extenuating circumstances excepted.
- The Scholarship Committee will review applications and select the winners. The International President will appoint committee members, successors, or the substitutes as may be necessary.
- The online scholarship application and all additional information required by the scholarship application must be submitted no later than March 1st. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to change, delete, or add to the scholarship application, as may be necessary, in a nondiscriminatory and uniform manner.
- The winners will be selected by the Scholarship Committee on the basis of such factors as academic achievement, career goals, extracurricular activities, outside school activities and a typed essay on a subject to be determined by the Scholarship Committee.
- The selection of the scholarship winners by the Scholarship Committee is final and binding on all applicants.
- The scholarship awards will be transmitted directly to the financial aid office of the accredited college or university, which the winners will attend.
- In the event that a scholarship winner in any year does not actually enter an accredited college or university within one (1) year of graduation from high school, for whatever reason, no scholarship award will be granted for that individual.
- In the event a family member of a Scholarship Committee member is being considered for a scholarship, that committee member shall not participate in any part of the selection process and the International President shall appoint a temporary substitute to the Scholarship Committee.
Upon adoption by the International Executive Council, these Rules for Eligibility and Procedures for Application and Selection shall govern the Scholarship Program and the Scholarship Committee. They shall remain in effect until such time that the International Executive Council shall modify them.
Adopted by the International Executive Council at the May 1997 Executive Council meeting.